INTRO TO SPEARFISHING
Time & Location
About the Course
The Invasive Carp Dive is our introduction to spearfishing in Ontario. We will cover spearfishing and freediving techniques as we focus on targeting invasive species of fish. Even experienced spearos find this dive fun & beneficial due to the unique diving found in Ontario. (Fishing season runs from May-July)
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
Freediving & Spearfishing Safety:
Safety procedures and their application while spearfishing.
Address the role and impact spearfishing locations have, as well as problems and safety management.
Provide all necessary information about basic spearfishing gear, proper selection, use and maintenance.
Focus on how to develop a hunting skill while introducing some widely used hunting techniques.
Ethics of a Hunter:
Explain the necessity of code of ethics and the responsibility of every spearo to our lakes, oceans, sport and families.
1. Mask – A low volume freediving mask
2. Fins – Long Blade Freediving Fins
3. Snorkel – J type simple snorkel (without valves)
4. Wetsuit – A 5mm or 7mm is suitable in Ontario's spearfishing season, open cell is preferable
5. Weights – Small weights (1-2 lbs) are easier to adjust your buoyancy, neckweights will optimize bouyancy
6. Weight Belt– A rubber weight belt is necessary (Nylon weight belts are not recommended)
7. Freediving Computer – Importance for safety during spearfishing
* You do not need to bring a speargun to this course. Hunting equipment will be provided for use. *